Need drinking water and have no SUN OVEN® or water filter? Remember these six steps to more drinkable water.
- Locate a clear plastic beverage bottle.
- Look for the recycle symbol with the number 1 inside it, marked PET. This type bottle can be used for water purification.
- Collect clear water with low sediment, pour into the plastic bottle.
- Cap the bottle and shake it well.
- Leave the bottle in direct sunlight for at least six hours; longer if weather is overcast or water is cloudy.
- After six hours in sunlight, you will have bacteria free water – UV rays kill all harmful bacteria. Depending on your water source, this water should be drinkable.
Remember that this method of water filtering doesn’t remove chemicals or viruses, but in many cases those aren’t the top concern in an emergency water situation.
Billie Nicholson, editor