In 2010, Doug and Stacy decided to leave the comforts of city life and travel back in time to a more sustainable and minimalist approach to life.
Thinking more and more about sustainability, availability, cost to operate, and a few other considerations, they decided to go off-grid and return to the Little House on the Prairie days with lanterns, a wood burning cook stove, a gravity fed cistern, and an ice box!
Using a Sun Oven® is perfect for an off grid life-style. In one of their videos, Stacy shows how to make “ghee” (clarified butter) using their All American Sun Oven. She set up her Sun Oven® at a 90º angle to the sun so that the oven would warm up to 250ºF but not get too hot. Sitting in the warm oven, the butter melted and milk solids separated from the whole milk butter obtained from grass-fed cows.. It took about 1 1/2 hours to melt the butter and allow the solids to settle out. She left it set up for another 30 minutes to allow the solids to toast and impart a nutty flavor.
The next step was to filter the butter fat from the milk solids. Ghee can be stored
un-refrigerated, but if you want it to solidify and last longer, refrigerate it. Always store it in an air-tight dark container.
Facts to know about Ghee:
- Ghee has a high smoke point. You can cook and fry with ghee and it will not breakdown into free radicals like other oils.
- Ghee does not affect people with a dairy or casein intolerant because the milk solids and impurities have been removed taking away the allergens.
- It is rich in oil soluble vitamins A and E as well as K2 (helps mineralize bones) and CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) – an antioxidant with anti-viral properties.
- Ghee is rich in medium chain fatty acids which can be absorbed by the liver directly and burned as energy.
- It will improve digestion and immune strength. Ghee stimulates the secretion of gastric acid, aiding the digestive process. It also contains butyric acid, a short chain detoxifier that improves colon health, supports healthy insulin levels and is an anti-inflammatant.Visit Stacy & Doug on their YouTube channel to learn more about their off grid life-style.
Off Grid with Doug & Stacy.
Billie Nicholson, Editor