What Every Penny-Pincher Ought to Know About Solar Ovens…
The internet is chock-full of plans and videos on how to make a cheap solar cooker, and there are cheaper knockoffs available. This prompts people to ask, “Why would anyone spend their hard-earned money for a SUN OVEN®?” The simple answer is: A SUN OVEN® is easier to use, will cook quicker, last longer and cost less per meal than any other type of solar cooking device.
Basics of Cooking With the Sun
A FREE Interactive Online Class
Watch a free, 40 minute class to get expert advice on how to harness the power of the sun to cook, pasteurize water, dehydrate, be better prepared for emergencies, and much more.
The top 12 reasons why a SUN OVEN® is the best bang for your buck
- When placed side by side with most homemade cookers and knockoffs a SUN OVEN® will reach temperatures which are 75 to 100 degrees hotter. (Consistently reaches temperatures of 360 to 400 Degrees Fahrenheit)
- On a partly cloudy day the SUN OVEN® can cook when the majority of solar cookers cannot. (There only needs to be enough sun to cast a shadow to use a SUN OVEN® while full sunlight is required for the others.)
- You can use a wide variety of pots and pans you already own in the SUN OVEN® (including cast iron Dutch Ovens and stoneware). In other solar cookers you can only use the dark enamel pots.
- SUN OVENS® have been on the market since 1986 and are designed to last for 15 years of daily use in developing countries and 20+ years in the US. (Over the past 28 years they have been put to long term tests with daily use in rough environments in more than 130 countries around the world.)
- Due to its long life and ability to cook on partly cloudy days, a SUN OVEN® costs less per meal than any other type of solar cooker.
- Bread can be baked in a SUN OVEN® on a partly cloudy day. Most solar cookers do not get hot enough to bake bread, but if they can, full sun is required.
- The SUN OVEN® is the only solar cooking device that allows you to cook quickly or slowly. Other Solar cookers can only cook slowly. (There are two ways to cook in a SUN OVEN®. If it is refocused every 25 to 30 minutes, the temperature will remain higher and the cooking time will be less. The other alternative is to use the SUN OVEN® as a slow cooker. A meal can be put in the oven in the morning and the oven can be placed where the sun will be at mid-day and the meal will slow cook throughout the day and be ready whenever you want to have dinner.)
- For the past 28 years, SUN OVENS® have been proudly made in the United States. (With the exception of the thermometer, all of the component parts used in the SUN OVENS® are made in the USA.)
- A portion of the proceeds from every SUN OVEN® purchased in the U.S. goes to help with our work in third world countries around the world.
- In addition to cooking, a SUN OVEN® can also be used as a solar dryer or dehydrator.
- Satisfaction guaranteed! If you are not completely satisfied with your SUN OVEN®, you may return it anytime within the first 30 days and receive a full refund.
- The SUN OVEN® is very user friendly:
The oven folds up and carries like a suitcase, weighs 23 pounds and sets up in a matter of seconds.
The dual purpose leveling rack keeps food from spilling while the oven is being adjusted.
The E-Z Sun Track Indicators take the guess work out of aligning the oven with the sun.
The oven has a built-in thermometer to monitor temperatures at a glance.
Why does a SUN OVEN® work better, get hotter, cook quicker, last longer and is more user friendly than homemade solar cooker and the cheaper knockoffs?
- The SUN OVEN® has a gasket which creates an air tight seal that traps the hot air and holds it in the oven’s cooking chamber. This gasket is made of a unique proprietary material which is warrantied for 15 years against failure.
- The reflectors on the SUN OVEN® are made of an anodized aluminum and are warrantied for 15 years against oxidization, rust or corrosion. The reflectors have been designed to reflect light into the entire glass surface regardless of where the sun is on the horizon.
- The door of the SUN OVEN® is made of a low iron tempered glass that is 4 millimeters thick. The glass is thicker than standard household glass for increased shatter resistance, improved insulation and hotter cooking temperatures.
- The SUN OVEN® has a thick 2 inch batt of a food grade fiberglass insulation to hold heat in and cold air out during the winter. Most solar cookers use a wall board type or fiberglass home insulation which are not designed for high oven temperatures and do not trap the heat. (The type of fiberglass insulation used to insulate homes and often used in homemade solar cookers will emit fumes which can be toxic.)
- SUN OVENS® come equipped with a wind resistant alignment leg which allows you to raise or lower the oven’s orientation to meet the sun on the horizon with increased stability. To prevent blowing over in high winds, the alignment leg can be staked to the ground or tied to a table.
- SUN OVENS® are equipped with a dual-purpose leveling rack which hangs inside the oven and swings freely to prevent spilling of food in a pot on the rack. The dual-purpose leveling rack can also be set on the floor of the oven to increase the usable area inside the SUN OVEN®.
What Can Be Made In A SUN OVEN®?
Create your favorite recipes. Make anything you can cook in a conventional electric or gas oven and most things you cook on a stovetop with the exception of fried foods. Even though it is called an oven, anything you can bake, boil or steam can be made in a SUN OVEN®.
Each SUN OVEN® comes with recipe software with over 600 recipes from our recipe blog. The recipe blog is indexed in 35 mouthwatering categories (click to view recipe blog)
The even temperature of the SUN OVEN® prevents burning so you do not need to stir your food while it is cooking (or ever have to worry about burning your dinner).
There is no movement of air in a SUN OVEN®, allowing food to stay moist, tender and flavorful. Temperatures in a SUN OVEN® rise slowly and evenly, allowing complex carbohydrates time to break down into simple sugars, emanating subtle natural flavors.
SUN OVENS® can also be used in a variety of other ways including:
- Boil or pasteurize water
- Make sun tea
- Naturally dehydrate fruits, vegetables and meats
- Heat water for a sponge bath
- Kill infestations in grains or dried foods
- Sanitize dishes
- Dry firewood
- Sprout foods
Sometimes the higher price is actually a better solution…a better value
Over 70,000 people in the US have discovered the value of investing in a SUN OVEN®. In addition to having the peace of mind of knowing they can cook in an emergency without power, they have found their SUN OVEN® quickly pays for itself with the energy saved by baking outdoors to reduce cooling costs.
Discover how moist a turkey can taste. (You can roast a 21 pound turkey in the sun.)
Sun-baked bread has unparalleled taste and texture.
A SUN OVEN® is the most energy efficient way to rehydrate freeze dried and dehydrated preparedness foods. (No need to pre-boil the water.)
Make hardboiled eggs without water. (Freshly laid eggs easily peel when hardboiled in a SUN OVEN®)
Sun-baked roasts are tastier and more succulent.
If you are not completely satisfied with your SUN OVEN®, you may return it anytime within the first 30 days and receive a full refund!