Important papers

Photo: Adobe Stock

We have all been counseled to maintain copies of important papers. Should you be caught without them, the Dept. of Agriculture, North Dakota State University has put together a list of contacts. Please note that some items on this list are for ND residents, but you can take the general leads and make them apply to your state. 

❑ Birth and Death Certificates – Contact your county courthouse (recorder’s office) or the site below. Information needed: name of record, date of birth, place of birth (city or county), father’s name, mother’s name (including maiden name).

❑ Marriage License, Marriage Dissolutions (divorces),

Adoption Decrees – Contact your county courthouse

(recorder’s office) or   (enter your state)

❑ Immigration Documents – Contact your county courthouse or the site below for citizenship, immigration, permanent resident card (green card), employment authorization, re-entry permit and more.

❑ Driver Licenses – Visit any [Your State] driver license site with acceptable identification, fee required.  [enter your state’s abbreviation]

❑ Vehicle Registration, License Tab or Title – Complete an Application for Certificate of Title and Registration of a Vehicle found at the site below. Drop this off at your local motor vehicle office or mail it to: (enclose the appropriate fee) [Look up your state’s address] North Dakota Department of Transportation, Motor Vehicle Division, 608 E. Boulevard Ave., Bismarck, ND 58505-0780.    [insert your state abbreviation]

❑ Passport – Complete form DS-64 from 

❑ Military Records – Request Standard Form 180 (SF-180) from any office of the Veterans Administration, American Legion, VFW or Red Cross, or download from

❑ Mortgage Papers – Contact your lending institution

❑ Property Deeds – Contact the recorder’s office in the county where the property is located

❑ Insurance Policies – Contact the insurance company for replacement papers

❑ Social Security Card – Go to a Social Security Administration office or the site below. You also can request a copy of your Social Security statement.

❑ Transcript of Your Tax Return – Call nearest TreasuryDepartment office, IRS office or (800) 829-3646; request form 4506. To find your local IRS office, go to 

❑ Savings Bonds/Notes – Complete Form PDF 1048

(Claim for Lost, Stolen or Destroyed U.S. Savings Bonds)available by calling call (304) 480-6112 or at 

Credit Cards – 

•  American Express …….. (800) 528-4800
•. Discover ………………….. (800) 347-2683
•. MasterCard ……………… (800) 622-7747
•. Visa ………………………… (800) 847-2911

Billie Nicholson, Editor
April 2018

SIGN UP FOR OFFERS, SALES, and Announcements!

Also learn morea about Emergency Preparedness, Saving Energy, and Creating Delicious Meals
Using the Sun.

You have Successfully Subscribed!