Deer hunting season is a highlight of the winter months. Here is our favorite recipe made in the Sun Oven®. Served with warm Artisan bread, this makes a hearty meal in any weather.
1 medium onion, sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, diced
4-6 peeled carrots, 2” pieces
3 peeled white potatoes, chunks
1 lb. venison sausage, bite-size pieces
6” sprig rosemary
1 tomato cut in sections
2 Tbs coconut oil
1 tsp chicken bullion dissolved in
6 cups hot water
Dollop of sour cream
Dust of Paprika
Sprig of basil
Makes 4-6 servings
Preheat Sun Oven® to 300-350ºF. Saute onion, garlic and celery in coconut oil and partially brown venison. Add all vegetables and meat to pot that fits in Sun Oven®. Smother with broth and cover with lid. Bake in Sun Oven® 2-3 hours, until potatoes and carrots are tender and flavors blended. Garnish and enjoy!
Billie Nicholson, Editor
This month’s issue includes:
- During our conversations with Pearl Harbor Survivors, they continued to warn us of the importance of being prepared – on every level, from our national military down to each individual. During World War II, everyone sacrificed to insure that world peace would be restored.
- Mama’s Last Gift ~ Who would expect 33 year old jelly to be any good? The jelly was firm and no crystallization or mold was apparent. A taste test confirmed the goodness within.
- Preparing for a Pandemic ~ A pandemic is basically a global epidemic. Learn how to protect your family should a viral sickness begin to spread around the world.
- As you make your list and check it twice for holiday gifts, (even from-you-to-you gifts), check out our “Prepared Family Combo.”
- Persimmons are a sweet and delicious fruit filled with vitamins and minerals. The Fuyu variety makes a nutritious persimmon leather.
- Generosity during the holidays often includes contributions to food banks. Think about contributing something healthy in your Food Bank Contribution.